I do not control which ads are displayed by Google Ads nor do I endorse the products advertised. Ads claiming diabetes is curable or reversible should be ignored.

Friday, May 01, 2009

Stuffed Mushrooms


Breakfast for one, low carb.

Ingredients

½ a small onion
Two or three medium to large, or one very large, mushrooms
Two or three tablespoons of Napoli Sauce or chopped canned tomatoes
Cheddar and grated parmesan cheese
A little olive or canola oil for cooking.


Skillet method.

I use a 6" cast-iron skillet.

Remove the stalks from the mushrooms, peel the mushrooms if appropriate.

Pre-heat the skillet and your grill (broiler if you are American).

Chop the onion and the stalks and sauté them in the skillet in a little oil.

When the onion is translucent spoon the vege mix into the mushrooms and add a spoonful of Napoli Sauce or tomatoes to each mushroom, adjusting to slightly overfill each cap.

Place the mushrooms in the skillet, add a few tablespoons of water to the exposed area of the skillet to provide instant steam and also deglaze juices, cover and cook over low heat for two or three minutes until the mushrooms have wilted. The stuffing will leak or spread a little and mix with the water to make a rich sauce.

Remove the lid and lightly cover the mushrooms with grated or sliced cheese. Sprinkle a little parmesan over the top. Place the skillet under the grill (broiler) until the cheese is bubbling and browning.

You can transfer it to a plate, but I usually eat it direct from the skillet on a trivet.


Oven Method.

Preheat oven to 200 C (390-400 F)

Prepare the mushrooms in the same way, but don't pre-cook anything. Assemble the mushroom caps, chopped onion and stalks, Napoli sauce and cheese in a suitable size ramekin or small baking dish. Add sufficient water to give a depth of about 6mm (1/4") in the ramekin after the mushrooms are placed in it.

Cook for approximately 15 minutes.

After the first time, you may need to adjust the time to suit your own oven.

I like this method for a fast breakfast because I can prepare it the night before and leave it in the oven pre-set to cook in the morning; ready when I wake. Allow a few minutes additional cooking time for the oven to reach the right temperature.

Nutrition.

This is very approximate. The fat is from the olive oil and cheese, cut back on those if it worries you.

Calories................335
Protein.............12 gm
Total Fat.........25 gm
Sat. Fat..............9 gm
Mono. Fat........14 gm
Poly. Fat............2 gm
Carbohydrate..13 gm
Fiber...............4.5 gm

Bon Appetit

Cheers, Alan
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw your comment on a site about Gabriel Cousens. His irresponsibly and misleadingly titled "There is a Cure for Diabetes" was recommended to me. A nearly incomprehensible load of crap.

I've started a Raw Food diet, prepared meals from Cousin's Incredible Vitality here in Chicago. I've lost 5 lbs. the last week and my fasting BG's are stabilizing below 100. And that while more than having my Glucophage and eliminating Glipizide. So far, so good.

The food is delicious and the diet would past the strictest ADA guidelines: very low in carbs, no added sugar, no added salt, very low fat. 50% greens and vegetables, 40% fruits and nuts.

I am not a Live Food-IST nor do I believe in Raw Food-ISM. I'm just a Type II looking for a diet I can live with - not slowly die with. It's a shame that this regimen, that can be very beneficial to us diabetics, has to be surrounded by all this flap-doodle and quackery.

I record my numbers, thoughts and experiences at Noah's Arkive.

Thanks for your blogging Allen, I really enjoyed browsing!

Alan said...

I've allowed publication of the comment Noah and I wish you well on your own personal journey.

However, I must mention that I am not a believer in raw food diets. But, I do agree that there is no right way for all in managing this condition, just lots of individual ways. So if it works for you - great.

In the meantime, I'll still cook most of my own food:-)

Trinkwasser said...

Dammit, I just walked past some succulent Portobellos and didn't buy them, and now you post THIS! After I finish the pheasant, the rabbit and the lamb chops I'll go back . . .