I do not control which ads are displayed by Google Ads nor do I endorse the products advertised. Ads claiming diabetes is curable or reversible should be ignored.

Friday, February 29, 2008

The Quality of ADA Dietary Advice

I was asked this question today on the ADA forum.

"Just what is low-fat/high-carb? My dietitian suggested 45-60 carbs per meal. That does seem like a lot sometimes. "

This was my reply on the Type 2 board.

"The USDA and the owners of this web-site (at least, they are again this week:-) have defined it pretty well here: Using the Diabetes Food Pyramid. Notice that fats of all types are right at the top, to be used minimally, and "bread grains and other starches" are at the base to be used in abundance.

That is associated with this other ADA web-page The Diabetes Food Pyramid: Grains & Starches which includes "The message today: Eat more whole grains! Whole grains and starches are good for you because they have very little fat, saturated fat, or cholesterol. They are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Yes, foods with carbohydrate -- starches, vegetables, fruits, and dairy products -- will raise your blood glucose more quickly than meats and fats, but they are the healthiest foods for you. Your doctor may need to adjust your medications when you eat more carbohydrates. "

I am departing for two months in a few days, so I will depart from my usual reticence on this subject on this forum.

In my lay opinion as a type 2 diabetic I think that the dietary information for type 2 diabetics on those pages, and on several associated pages, is the most dangerous and disgraceful dietary advice for type 2's that it is possible to give. In effect, it says that it's OK to eat food that you know will cause blood glucose spikes as long as you medicate to correct it. In fact, not just that it's OK but that it's healthier for you to do that.

It is made even more dangerous because the source is the most influential major authority in the world. I wrote about that a long time back, and little has changed since.

There has been a change of leadership at the ADA and many of the diabetics I know are hoping for changes in those guidelines."

Well, time will tell. I just hope that the changes occur within my lifetime; they may come too late for many.

No comments: